Infolinks In Text Ads

Friday, June 29, 2012

Drawing a Line in the Sand: No More Meat


There, I've said it. From here on out, no more meat. Changing to a vegetarian diet is more than a dietary change. It is a change in lifestyle--and that takes time and effort. Honestly, I can say that I mostly vegetarian. Sometimes I regress and eat meat, but not often. One of the hardest parts of becoming vegetarian is trying to create meals that are not full of carbs or fat.

Carbs
Pasta and rice. I love both. Pasta is my downfall. It is difficult to create interesting and different vegetarian meals without using either pasta or rice. I have yet to find a non-semolina based pasta that I can eat. Most become starchy and sticky or turn to mush.

Rice is not as big a challenge. I rarely use white rice. We most often use Madagascar Pink rice or Volcano rice from Lotus Foods. When I serve brown rice, I add scallions to it. My kids like it better that way.

Fats
What--A vegetarian diet is full of fat? It can be if you use a lot of cheese. I am finding that there are too many recipes that use cheese almost as a meat substitute. While cheese has its place, I am trying to limit the amount of dairy I eat. Vegetarian cheese does not appeal to me. Still searching for a solution to this dilemma.

Solutions that Work
I've been experimenting with rice noodles. The kids like them and they add an authentic taste to stir fry. Quinoa is a wonderful grain that is high in protein. Most of my kids like it and it is fairly versatile. I can swap out pasta or rice with quinoa in some dishes.

It has been a long slow process for me and my family. We are eating healthier but I do not foresee anyone other than myself becoming completely vegetarian.

--Lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment